| Home |   | About |   | A Kitchen Witch? |  

Saturday, January 9, 2010

Earache & Sore Throat
















If you have an earache right now, you probably also have a pretty sore throat. The two cause quite a bit of pain & most often come hand in hand. This is because there is a tube at the base of the ear drum that runs down to your throat. This is the Eustachian tube. So whether the infection started in the ear or the throat, either way it often makes its way to the other by means of the Eustachian tube.

The most effective home remedy I have used for an earache/sore throat is an herb called Goldenseal. Goldenseal is in the Buttercup family and is native to North America. It has natural anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial properties making it a wise and effective remedy for earaches, sore throats, and sinus infections. This herb is often sold in tea form at your local health food store, and the Alvita company makes a tea I steep and then slowly gargle to kill bacteria on my throat. I then also drink 2-3 cups of it throughout the day.

I proudly gloated in my success with Goldenseal at work a few years ago when everyone came down with a bad earache. Everyone else went to the doctor to get antibiotics. I, at the encouragement of a friend, went to my local health food store and bought Goldenseal tea. I gargled with the tea throughout the day and drank it along with some Vitamin C drops and bowls of homemade chicken soup. Needless to say, my earache pain was mostly gone within a day and a half of drinking and gargling and was completely gone within 2 full days! I did continue with my regime for 5 days though to ensure drying of the infection.

One thing you should know about Goldenseal is that it is drying, so don't let yourself become dehydrated for any extended period. Another key point about earaches is that one should know is that severe pain while clamping down on food is not normal. Neither is an earache without an accompanying sore throat. Both warrant a visit to a medical professional, as does any earache if you feel it is just too severe.

Other ways to ease the pain at home are warm compress and Sudafed (it naturally dries out the ear and all your mucosa). No matter what you choose to do for your earache, I hope you try Goldenseal tea. This herb is just so truly effective and medicinal when it comes to all things cold & flu.

Note: This home remedy is NOT meant for children~!
Photo by Stephanie @ stephanielevy.blogspot.com

5 comments:

  1. I have had sinus issues for my entire life. Goldenseal is an herbal remedy that pharmaceutical companies do not want you to know about or believe in because it WORKS. I drink goldenseal echinacea tea whenever I get sick and if I have a sore throat or itchy ears. I gargle with it if I'm really feeling bad. The taste of the tea takes some getting used to, but I have to say that my caveman side really likes it now. Quite earthy. Oh, and if you are congested or have a runny nose, goldenseal tea (when you drink a cup every four hours or so) will dry you right up. It is better (and healthier) than any drug I've ever tried.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I meant to ask you before, Do you have the show Grow Your Own Drugs over there? http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00pst7w
    The accompanying book is brilliant too. Right up your alley.
    Although I imagine you probably know most of it already.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Emily (Girl Foodie). I don't know it airs here. I watch the BBC all the time though-I'll check it out for sure...

    ReplyDelete
  4. thats nice.. we have ginger tea... but this is new to me..

    ReplyDelete
  5. going to try it tonight. I'll keep you posted on my results.

    ReplyDelete

Please do comment, Dearies!