| Home |   | About |   | A Kitchen Witch? |  

Friday, January 15, 2010

Kate's White Onion Soup
















This onion soup is one of those recipes that you keep in your mind forever because it is so easy and also healthful and delicious. I found it on a blog called Serendipity. The original version is made with a rich homemade chicken broth. I just changed it a bit by using vegetable broth and making croutons with olive oil, garlic, black pepper & salt.

I could not get a good photo due to making the soup at night. I am not the best photographer as is, but night photography is the worst. Luckily, Kate from Serendipity very sweetly allowed me to use her picture to give you an idea of how it looks. She also encouraged me to look at another soup of hers to veganize, so I might post that soon.

Vegan Version:
3 onions-sliced
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 heaping teaspoon flour
1/2 cup white wine
2-3 cups of vegetable broth (low sodium)
Salt & black pepper to taste
Bread for toasting (olive oil, chopped garlic, salt, pepper)

Slice onions thin and place in a pan with oil on medium heat. Cover with a lid and turn down to medium low heat. Allow to caramelize for about 45 min. I checked on mine and stirred from time to time. Then add flour and allow it to toast for about 2 min. Add the wine & turn up the heat a bit to encourage evaporation. Once the wine mostly evaporates, add stock and allow to warm through. Salt and Pepper to taste and top with vegan crouton...

Yum! Thank you, Kate, for a delicious dinner! Stella & Adam


5 comments:

  1. Oh !!! What an incredible blog !!!! It is SO interesting, and original !!!
    Congrats !!!! I will follow it closely, particularly, because I was have problems of intolerance with some food, and daughter of an Argentine "gaucho" (sort of cowboy from the Pampas), my father believed firmly in healing with herbs...so you see !!!
    Thanks a lot, Stella !!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Stella, thank you for the shout out. I like the way you veganized it.

    What an interesting blog! I'm glad I found it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love soup at this time of year and this sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. looks like a great french onion soup variation and I love the presentation :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to make this. Looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Please do comment, Dearies!