| Home |   | About |   | A Kitchen Witch? |  

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Beyond Easy Dinner Rolls


















I just got home from visiting my mother in Atlanta where I also catered a small wedding. The menu was full of things like phyllo wrapped around organic mashed potatoes, fresh gulf shrimp, and cilantro pesto (coming soon to a blog near you!) as well as soy butter glazed carrots amongst other very nice gastronomically pleasing items.

One of these other items was not only something that the bride said was the best she ever had homemade or store bought, but also an item that everyone loves (so much so that I had to make them again for my mother's church group, which allowed me the time to get some photos). And that is a good dinner roll. This yeast roll is delicious, and, in the realm of yeast rolls and breads, it is very easy and I would say at least pretty quick.

Here is the recipe:

2 1/2 Cups of All Purpose Flour
1 1/2 Tsp. Instant Yeast (or 1 package)
2 Tbsp. Sugar
1 1/2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 Tsp. Salt
1 Fresh Egg
3/4 Cup of Very Warm Water (Not Hot-about 110 degrees)
Poppy Seeds (Optional)
Butter or Margarine (Brushing)

Preheat oven to 415 degrees & butter a round baking dish.

First, put water and yeast together in a mixing bowl and allow to dissolve for about a minute. Then add the egg, oil, sugar, & salt and stir thoroughly. Gently stir in 1 cup of flour . Now is the time to cover this mixture with a towel and allow it to sit for 15 minutes in a very warm place (near a working stove, etc). The mixture should rise and form air bubbles.

After 15 minutes, stir the mixture & add the other 1 1/2 cups of flour. Mix till you get a dough and then knead the dough for about 3 minutes adding flour as needed for sticky areas. Divide the dough into 1 1/2 inch balls and line a round, greased baking sheet with the dough balls. Allow to rise in a warm place (near a hot stove or in a slightly warm oven) for 25 minutes.

Brush with melted butter and sprinkle with poppy seeds. Bake at 410-15 degrees for 12-15 minutes.

Up close and golden!






















And it's finished-delicious & beautiful for the ladies.

19 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful roll, wonderfully flaky. It's a true testament that the bride says it's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks beautiful with the poppy seeds. Thanks for sharing this but I also want the soy glazed carrots okay? It sounds YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Christine, thank you. And, yes, I was very happy and relieved to hear the bride say that. Catering is always so high stress/drama!

    Hi Trissa. Your'e funny and okay!

    ReplyDelete
  4. making these rolls w/ your tomato soup!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Stella,

    These rolls look really perfect and tasty. What kind of yeast did you use? Active dry? Or instant?

    I am greatly tempted to make these tomorrow, as I have an uninterrupted day (I hope!) in which to bake.

    Your blog is beautiful! The photos are truly exceptional, and I love the little stars floating around. (How the heck did you do that?)

    :) Jane

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jane. Thank you-they were really delicious rolls. I used active dry yeast for them and activated the yeast by using warm water. They are also delicious rolled in butter and dusted with cinnamon and sugar before baking.

    I hope you do make them, as the recipe is good and easy for a baker like yourself to memorize. Oh, and I'm going to send you an e-mail with the stars/snow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. poppy seed-ified and everything - great looking roll!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice buns! I've added it to my recipe book-Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those rolls look phenomenal!! I just made my first loaf of bread, I am a reluctant baker, but now that I have to teach it, I have to learn it.....can't wait to try your recipe..
    Best Wishes!!
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  10. The whole menu sounds fabulous! And I can see why the bride loved these rolls! I'll definitely give this recipe a try next time I'm making rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  11. These look great! Just the kind of thing I could eat with a lot of butter!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for stopping by my blog, Stella. These rolls look delicious. You can just tell they're soft, and I love the poppy seeds on top. Slather butter on them and a cup of your ginger tea (sounds delish, btw), and you're all set.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you for sharing. I made these, poppy seeds and all; and, my husband and I enjoyed them very much.

    ReplyDelete
  14. These turned out awesome veganized! Just substitute the egg for 1 eggs worth of Ener-G egg re-placer. Perfect <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I hope they turned out good, Cottage Rose-breads can be tricky.

    Hi Amy! I am going to try this recipe with Ener-g when I can find some...

    ReplyDelete
  16. THESE ARE IN MY oven now - rising (it's cold and a bit cold in the house too). So, Iput my oven on bake at about 150 degrees for about 4-5 min's then turn it off and put the rolls in there to rise... more later. I'm ultra optimistic - the dough's been very compliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never had much luck with yeast, I always envy perfectly risen bread like yours!

    ReplyDelete
  18. A beautiful loaf! Perfect looking and so tempting.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Stella! These rolls came up on my Google search. I think I'm going to make them to go with Thanksgiving dinner. :) Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete

Please do comment, Dearies!