| Home |   | About |   | A Kitchen Witch? |  

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Cauldron Beets























I have noticed quite a few recipes around the web involving roasted beets. Roasting beets is surely a delightful way to cook this earthy root vegetable. Being though that I am a witch spending much of my time next to a burning cauldron, I simply boil my beets for a specified amount of time depending on size. This technique produces a soft, delicious beet ready to be tossed in oil, vinegar, and herbs once cooled.

If you are one of these trolls that cringes at the thought of beets, consider that you are foregoing large quantities of minerals like potassium, magnesium, and copper as well as vitamins like Vitamin C, Folate, and other B Vitamins. Beets are also especially high in an amino acid called Betaine, which aggressively fights inflammation in the body!

Instructions: Wash beets thoroughly. If your beets are large, slice them in half. Drop beets into salted, boiling water. If you have small beets, check for tenderness with a fork after 20-25 minutes. If large, check within 30 minutes. Some like beets with a bit of bite while others want them tender, so end boiling as you see fit. Once done, use your hands to push off the peel-it comes off easily! Be sure not to over boil, as beets can get water logged.


















Oh, and don't waste those beet greens. They are delicious sauteed in olive oil with garlic and red pepper!

8 comments:

  1. I am with fresh local and best - I love everything about the beet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love beets, but have to be careful cause of the sugar levels. Make them all the time with yogourt, or throw in some herbs and spices and saute them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I adore beets! I'm always happy to find someone else who feels the same. And their greens...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, yesss! Count me in the beet fan club! I love them. I always have!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another beet lover here. I adore fresh beets (any beets for that matter)! A few weeks ago I made a creamy beet soup--beautiful and delicious. And the beet greens...I sauteed them in a little butter, minced garlic and red wine. Amazing! Yep, my little root chakra was happy for days :>).

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beets are one of those foods that one might think are icky, but that are actually one of THE yummiest foods on Earth. These beets, boiled and tossed in simple vinegar, oil, and herbs, will stick in your mind for eternity as one of the most delightful, simplest, pleasures around. I go batty when the kitchen witch makes these for me. And the beet greens are great too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stella,
    In your sidebar you wrote 'Sit down and stay a while', what a lovely inviatation and one I am so happy to take up. I am so enjoying my time here. You have so many lovely recipes that appeal the greedy person in me.

    I have to admit though, beetroot is not high on my list, but recently I have been trying to eat them more. A few days ago I made some beetroot gnocchi and loved them, so maybe I am changing my mind about this root veg.

    ReplyDelete

Please do comment, Dearies!