| Home |   | About |   | A Kitchen Witch? |  

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Guava & Pineapple Turnovers




















This is a tropical delight for my dearies, as there aren't many things better than a sweet, fragrant guava jelly combined with tart pineapple. Included is a pastry or croissant dough recipe that's faster and easier than almost anything you'll find in this realm. Yes, look up a typical croissant dough, and you will become privy to a more than 24 hour process that requires quite a bit of work.

Be sure to use a nice guava jelly like this











Quick Pastry Dough

2 Cups All Purpose Flour
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1 Cup Butter
1/2 Cup Yogurt
2 Tablespoons Cold Water

In a bowl, stir together flour and salt. Using a pasty blender or your hands, cut cold butter into flour until your mixture looks like a course meal with some pea sized pieces of butter. Mix the water into the yogurt and add to the flour mixture. Mix till you get a nice dough.

Form the dough into a ball. On a floury surface, roll into an 18 by 9 inch rectangle. Take the ends and fold the dough crosswise into thirds forming a 6 by 9 inch rectangle. Fold the dough into thirds again from the other side (to your right, so that you have a small square or even ball like shape). Wrap dough and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
*Folding dough into thirds means simply pulling one end towards the center and then pulling the other end's two corners towards the center and on top of the first fold. This creates layers, which in turn creates flakiness...

For guava and pineapple turnovers, cut the dough in half after chilling. Roll each half on a floured surface into a 12 inch square. Cut into 6 squares and put about 3/4 tbsp. of guava jelly in the center of each square along with a few pieces of pineapple (canned or fresh). Pull the ends toward each other to form whatever shape you like. Crimp the edges together with the end of a fork and brush with egg (egg whipped with 1 tbsp. water).

Bake at 395 for 10 minutes. Turn the heat down to 385 and bake for 12-15 more minutes or until golden.

Enjoy!

Pineapple Goodness!


















Guava Bite!


















To my vegan lovelies, I will be trying this dough with Earth Balance and O'Soy Yogurt as soon as possible. If it works, I will update this post!

41 comments:

  1. What a delicious idea! Guava and pineapple. I actually have some leftover pineapple in the fridge.. hmm, but guava jelly is not a staple in my pantry so I'll have to run and get some. Ps. Im stoked about trying the "faux" flaky pastry.. I have actually made puff pastry for a daring bakers challenge and like you said - it is a lengthy process - but a forgiving one - at least you can leave the dough for a day, turn it and then repeat- great for the busy bee like me! :) But your's seems just as beautiful - not to mention instant gratification :p Thanks for sharing! Hopefully I'll get back to you soon with my experience trying this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the guava, pineapple combo in these!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wish I had one of those right now or maybe two...looks lovely!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute site you have!!!!!!!! This recipe looks phenomenal! I've always been a bit scared of pastry dough, but this looks doable and FLAKY!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmm..I've never seen yogurt in a pastry dough, but it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun sweet treat! I love how versatile these turnovers are.

    ReplyDelete
  7. these look fantastic! i hope you try out the vegan version soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm crazy about guava jelly. Have been having on toast for years! What a super idea to combine it with pineapple in a pastry turnover. And I love the yogurt in the dough, too. This looks delicious! (wish I was having one for breakfast today)

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my these turnovers look beautiful and so so delicious....iv never thought of making pineapple turnovers! ill try it one day. tq:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You make your own pastry dough and it's beautiful! This is exactly what I need. Thank-you!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum! I love the combination of pineapple and guava jelly in the filling!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Guava jam sounds delightful! I'll have to see if I can hunt some down so that I can try this recipe. It sounds fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are tempting me to go into the kitchen!

    Thanks for stopping by to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stella

    I was stunned by the dough recipe; it is identical to a recipe for sambusek that is a turnover made in Lebanon, Syria etc
    I love the taste of guava and pineapple together, what a great treat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hey Joumana, I've never heard of Sambusek, but that makes sense with the use of yogurt being so common in that region. My friend says this dough reminds her of a sour cream danish dough that is made in Germany I think she said. Maybe this is standard pastry dough in some regions?? Maybe?
    Either way, it is really delicious, so now I know I like Sambusek!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stella - this just looks fantastic. I am certainly going to try this dough. I have stayed away from croissant doughs for exactly the reason you mention. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the flavor combination of your turnovers. I'm not very good at making pastry but I will give this a try, I like that u used yogurt in your dough recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. These sound so good! I love pineapple.

    ReplyDelete
  19. There are tons of pineapples here all year round. When they're at their peak, they're sold for 3/$1.10 at roadside stalls. I never learned to like this fruit. I find it too sweet for my liking. And never mind how hard they are to peel!

    Now guavas, I love them. I love eating them in their natural state.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This just won't do - your recipe is the second one I've seen this week that uses guava jam and I want a jar now! I'm in the tropics and I've never seen this, how is this shameful state of affairs possible??! LOL

    Gorgeous recipe Stella - I'd like to say you've outdone yourself, but I know you will soon top this too, so why bother? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. guava and pineapple I love that combo- great recipe

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  22. I'm going to make these for tomorrow morning. (I have some left-over needs-to-be-used philo dough... wonder if I could take a shortcut and use this...).... AND THEN make these for real. This combination sounds perfect!! Will let you know after I make them HOW PERFECT....

    ReplyDelete
  23. Stella, come by and see me please I have a surprise for you!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love guava, but I've never tried cooking with it before. I will definitely have to try making this over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  25. usually I hate turnovers (they seem boring) but guava! Now you are talking!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh man, these look divine! Yuuuuuuum

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Stella - You've done it again! Stirred the cauldron and produced a delectable treat :)

    Love pastry dough, love guava & love pineapple, A Fantastic combination!

    Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love guava, but hardly see any recipes on food blogs for it, this looks so good. yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh that looks and sounds absolutely delicious! You're making me hungry. Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  30. THESE GUAVA AND PINEAPPLE TURNOVERS LOOK FABULOUS, STELLA!

    ReplyDelete
  31. The turnovers looks delicious !! Thanks for sharing the recipe,i wonder how pineapples and coconut will do ? Pina colada wrapped in dough :P

    ReplyDelete
  32. Wow, that's super flaky!! I love that the pastry crust has yogurt in it. I've had apple turnovers as well as cherry turnovers, but pineapple and guava sound pretty tasty too :o)

    ReplyDelete
  33. I use yogurt in salt doughs! It gives a fluffy feeling.
    This is great for breakfast with a fresh orange juice...
    Fruit explosion!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Thanks for your comment on my blog!

    This just sounds wonderful. I'll have to try and find some guava jam to make these turnovers!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I NEED TO TRY THIS STAT!!!! Definitely from a completely different realm. Always so lovely Stella ;)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Yum - looks amazing! Id kill to try that guava jam, too. Me and my jam obsession :P

    ReplyDelete
  37. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm Guavapple Pinuava....mmmmmmmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  38. A great tropical combination! Looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  39. hi guys!!!!
    wow I actually make guava jelly sweets combined with pineapple sour and make things so rich how are you. is incredible. this blog about these wonderful sweet I feel great. and this amazing blog .. thanks for sharing the information ..

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thank you Stellita !! I will certainly try this recipe. It seems to be very good!

    ReplyDelete

Please do comment, Dearies!