| Home |   | About |   | A Kitchen Witch? |  

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Split Red Lentil Soup



















This is a soup I've been making for Cauldron Boy for for a few years now. He loves this soup for its delicious flavor and the nostalgic comfort that it brings him to have a bowl with crackers and cheese. I love it because it is a simple soup that is fast, and it is super healthful as you may notice upon reading the ingredients below. I also like having a way to use leftover cooked rice, so that it does not go to waste!

Be sure to serve this soup with a drizzle of olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon or lime-these add so much to the flavor of the red lentils! Homemade crackers are nice with this too and will be coming soon to a blog near you!
















Split Red Lentil Soup

1 3/4 Cups Organic Split Red Lentils
1 Onion (Minced)
1 1/2 Cups Cooked Rice
2 Hefty Pinches of Herbes de Provence (Optional)
1 Large Bay Leaf
1 1/2 Tsp. Cumin
1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 Bouillon Cube or 1 1/2 Tsp. Better Than Bouillon
8 1/2 Cups Water

Fill a soup pot with the water, onion, lentils, bouillon, salt, pepper, bay, & herbs. Bring to a high simmer, stir, and lower the heat. Put the lid on at an angle to allow some steam to exit. Let cook at a low simmer for 20 minutes stirring intermittently. Then add the rice and cumin and allow to cook at a low simmer for 10 more minutes. Salt and pepper to taste.

Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and a good squeeze of lemon-sliced scallions are also recommended. Enjoy, Dearies!























*P.S. Curry and red pepper would be great in here too. Oh, and, yes, the red lentils render a golden colored soup.

27 comments:

  1. What a great soup for a day like today, My girls have finally started eating Lentil Soup, I use a french green lentil, this looks much whiter than my soup, is that from the red lentil?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks so fantastic! Lentils, rice, cumin? Yum! I'm bookmarking this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a good comforting soup to make for these rainy days. I adore lentils!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love me a bowl of hot lentil soup YUM!I love how your recipes are always so simple and fuss free and this one's no exception! Another winner Stella :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm, sounds very warm and wholesome. I do like red lentils and you are so right, they go very well with curry spices.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Stella, what a great soup. I made a lentil salad with the rest of my duck confit--I wish I'd thought to put some curry in it! This looks delicious. Great photo too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to make a red lentil soup similar to this. I use paprika instead of cumin and finish it off by squeezing a lemon into the pot just before serving. I will have to give this combination of spices a try!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm... excellent soup, sounds perfect with a lemon drizzle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stella..your soup looks scrumptious!

    Didn't I see a post for hot choc. too?

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Witchy Woman- Just made your easy dinner rolls-nice and easy! Gonna have to try the pizza dough ASAP- Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tell the truth, i have never eaten this...
    Time for new flavors!!!

    frabala

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh this soup sounds marvelous. Too often I have leftover rice and don't know what to do with it other than make congee out of it or just eat it the next day. This is a wonderful recipe. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm a total sucker for lentil soup, it's one of my favorite childhood foods. And that squeeze of citrus at the end sounds smashing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Perfect soup for the rainy days..Sounds nutritious and filling :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. thats a lovely lentil soup! beautiful photograph...^.^

    ReplyDelete
  16. We often whip up a quick lentil soup but I've never thought of adding Herbes de Provence. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the flavors. I'd make this if it weren't so hot over here. "Cauldron Boy" made me laugh. Does he know you call him that?

    Anyway, I have an award to pass your way. Please check it out for the rules:
    http://kitchen-masochist.blogspot.com/2010/03/hey-sunshiney-day.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love me some of this soup! It is hearty and flavorful, and I am always thrilled when I get word that the kitchen witch has a pot brewing. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love lentils. Great soup. And I love the suggestion of the drizzle of olive oil and the lemon juice!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love homemade lentil soup. My parents always put cubed potatoes, carrots, and a few grains of rice in it or those small vermecelli noodles. In addition to that, I *really* like adding cilantro.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love lentils..looks so tasty!!

    sweetlife

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lentil and soup is the best 2 words to go together. What's in the Herbes de Provence mix? I usually make my own red lentil soup but this is a nice change, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I love Lentil Soups, so I'll make this tomorrow night (have some pinto beans in my crock pot today; for our un-taco salad tonight!). This is a very nice blog, Stella.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh wow, that soup does look very healthy and tasty! What a great way to use up leftover rice. The homemade crackers look pretty awesome too. I'm looking forward to that recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, yum! I'm inspired--I think it's time to make some lentil soup this weekend! Definitely with some lemon juice and olive oil!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh I love love love lentil soup. It's supposed to be spring here in the east but I'm still freezing. This may just what the doctor ordered!!

    Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete

Please do comment, Dearies!